Home wiring depends on the era of your home and in certain cases – the electrician that has fitted it for you. The signs that a house rewire should be carried out are easy to spot, but you should always be cautious when checking.

What Is A House Rewire?

Well to start, your home’s wiring and electrics are basically the core of your home. Without these, you would not be able to have any electrical appliances, no light fixtures or anything. It’s safe to say that if you didn’t have home wiring, you could be back in the stone age, which is why you should make sure you keep it in good condition!

So dependant on your home you may not realise that your home is in serious need of an electrical check up – because you could be putting you and your family in danger.

If you live in a period home, then you should find the time to have one of our certified electricians Milton Keynes come and take a look at your wiring. This is because in timely residences (preferably those built before the 60’s) have only 60 amp within the wirings capability – homes nowadays are built with 100 amp making older homes extremely vulnerable to wires overpowering which pose a massive threat to you and the people in your home.

Home wiring can play a huge part in fire safety within your home; it is one of the most common causes of house fires and if not checked out fast can leave you at high risk.

For example, homes built before 1984 did not have an earth wire or had an aluminium wire instead of copper. This was fine until it was discovered that aluminium wires are 55 times more likely to cause a house fire due to the fact it can get very hot. Without an earth wire, you are more susceptible to electric shocks from overpowered cables as there is no wire to dispose of the excess electricity.

So the question everyone is asking is how can you spot things that may indicate that your homes rewiring may be faulty or outdated. Well, keep reading to find out!

Scour Your Home

Believe it or not, your home may be a lot older than you think, one way that you can guess the age of your home is by looking around for clues that may indicate it’s age.

Begin by searching rooms like bedrooms and living areas for plug sockets you can judge how old your home is. If you have round pin plug sockets, this could indicate that your home is old. Also if you have any plug sockets fitted into your skirting boards, this is also an accurate sign of a timely home.

Dimming Or Flickering Lights

If your lights are annoyingly flickering or dimming on their own, then that could be another dangerous sign of old or faulty wiring. Flickering is often the outcome of a broken or loose wire; this is when a wiring connection is loose, and the circuit is loose making your lighting fixtures continuously blink and flicker – this could also be responsible for if your lights stop working altogether. If you have these symptoms, then you should most definitely have your house checked.

 on and off lightbulbs

Electrical Shocks

One of the biggest warning signs you can have, never under and circumstances should your plug sockets or wires or plugs be giving you an electric shock when you make contact with them. There is always the excuse of static etc. but just to be on the safe side, you should have an electrical inspection Milton Keynes carried out for extra security.

Hot Sockets

Another serious symptom of old electrical wiring is when you have plugged something in, and the device plug begins to become really overheated. This is a sign that your wiring is overpowered which is causing your plug to heat up, this is highly dangerous and if this is happening you should contact one of our electricians Milton Keynes straight away. This can often be accompanied by flashing or a burning scent.

burnt damaged plug socket

Discoloured Switches

If you notice that the switches from your appliances are beginning to discolour, this is when you have a potentially dangerous problem on your hands. Although the switch can be replaced easily enough, in some cases, there is a much bigger underlying issue that needs to be looked at by a professional.

Frequent Blown Fuses

If the amp within the circuit is at a level too high for the wiring, then it is likely that your fuse will break or become damaged. This is due to your appliance beginning to overheat. If you notice that your switch has suddenly stopped working or is faulty, then it is likely that your fuse has broken. We recommend you do not attempt to try and fix the situation yourself, seek professional help and allow them to address the situation for you.

lightbulb

Going Through Ridiculous Amounts Of Lightbulbs

Although this sign may sound ridiculous, it is actually an excellent indicator of a faulty or broken wiring system. If you are going through light bulbs like there’s no tomorrow, then it’s pretty obvious something is up anyways – this indicates that your fixture is too low to be able to handle the bulb wattage; therefore, it blows due to an overload of energy. You should try to use energy efficient lightbulbs for the best result.

Not only are you wasting money continuously purchasing light bulbs but you are also putting yourself at risk – it’s easy enough for a house fire to happen from a blowing light bulb via a spark. So if it seems like you are taking too many regular trips down the shop for more light bulbs, then you should have your wiring checked out to ensure that your wiring isn’t the cause.

Summary

So not all of these symptoms are easy to spot, so it’s important that you are aware of them for future reference. Electricity is dangerous so you should never attempt to repair any damaged or faulty wiring yourself and you should always leave it down to a trained professional.

We hope that this article was helpful if it was then why not share on social media?

Previous Post Signs Of A Cowboy Electrician
Next Post 10 Ways To Reduce Electricity Bills